Early Detection Saves Lives! Book Your VELscope Oral Cancer Screening Today
Oral cancer is when abnormal cells grow on the lips, inside the mouth, or in the throat area. Dentists here in Glendale are trained to examine the mouth and surrounding areas at your regular check-ups.
We use the VELscope
We screen you at your first appointment to identify suspicious lesions, and every visit afterward to monitor them. This procedure is painless and non-invasive, and only takes a few moments.
The VELscope's blue light assists in detecting abnormal tissue. These abnormalities cannot be seen by the naked eye, so a biopsy may be required if suspicious tissue is discovered.
What are the signs or symptoms of oral cancer?
- White or deep red patches on your mouth, lips, or tongue.
- A lump any change in the texture or color of the mouth tissues.
- Bleeding in the mouth or sores that are not healing.
- Trouble swallowing or changes in taste and tongue sensations.
To help prevent oral cancer, consider the following tips:
- See a dentist on a regular basis and ask your dentist about oral cancer screenings.
- Quit using tobacco products and ask your dentist about tools to aid in your quest to quit.
- Drink alcohol in moderation or not at all.
- Limit sun exposure and use lip balms with UV protection.
- Eat a balanced diet with fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.
- If you notice any symptoms or changes in your mouth that do not go away in two weeks, be sure to contact your dentist right away.
What are the next steps?
The key to proper oral health is regular checkups, which include screening for oral cancer using the VELscope. For more information about oral cancer detection, or to book your appointment, please contact our dentist in Glendale today.
We are proud to offer dental care services to our patients and have state-of-the-art equipment and a team of trained professionals to make sure that you get the best care possible. Call today!