Boost Your Smile’s Potential – With A Dental Crown!
Dental crowns restore the shape, size, and strength of a tooth. They fully encase the visible part of your tooth or dental implant. Once they have been permanently bonded to your teeth, only a dentist or dental specialist can remove them.
Proper care and good oral hygiene can extend the lifespan of a crown from 5 to 15 years. If a natural tooth-colored porcelain crown is used, you can receive a permanent crown in one visit, as opposed to two visits with a metal or porcelain-fused-to metal crown. We can let you know at your consultation which option is right for you.
When are crowns necessary?
Our dentist in Glendale may recommend a dental crown to:
- Restore and protect a broken, worn, or decayed tooth
- Support a tooth after it has been filled deeply or has undergone root canal treatment
- Complete your dental implant treatment
- Hold a dental bridge or other prosthesis in place
- Cover a misshapen, or severely discolored tooth to give your smile a more balanced, attractive appearance.
Types of Crowns
A dental crown is a type of covering that protects a tooth or implant in positions that allow it to chew normally. Three types of crowns are available. Each type of crown is unique:
- Porcelain crowns are aesthetically pleasing, strong, stable, and highly resistant to wear. Porcelain is highly biocompatible as it does not contain metal. It also provides the best natural color match to the rest of your teeth.
- Metal crowns may be recommended for back teeth since they offer strength and endurance. Metal crowns can support biting or chewing forces. Metal crowns rarely chip or break, since they’re made of gold or high-noble metals, and they require minimal tooth structure removal.
- Porcelain-fused-to metal crowns combine natural-looking porcelain and metal, with greater strength. This type of crown has a number of advantages, but it requires more tooth structure to be removed than other types of crowns.
To find out what your best option is for your individual needs, contact us to book an appointment. We’ll assess your needs and help you make an informed choice. Call today – your beautiful, healthy smile is within reach!